Tiernan James Dermot Byrnes
Dr. Tiernan J. D. Byrnes is a Consultant Neurosurgeon and Spinal Surgeon. Dr. Byrnes is an Endoscopic Spine Surgeon and Board certified and Fellowship trained in Neurosurgery and Complex Spinal Surgery in the United Kingdom and Ireland since 2009.
Having been raised in the United States, the U.K. and Ireland he studied Medicine at the University of Edinburgh, Scotland. After graduating Medicine and having completing his Basic Surgical Training Dr. Byrnes moved to London to take up his Neurosurgical and Spinal Surgery Training Program incorporating King’s College Hospital, St George’s Hospital, Great Ormond Street Hospital and the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery (Queen Square), London.
Dr. Byrnes was further awarded a Post-Graduate Medical Research Doctorate (M.D.(Research)) from the University of London for his original work and Thesis on the Application of Advanced Neurosurgical Imaging. During his period of academic research Dr. Byrnes was Clinical Lecturer in Neurosurgery at St. George’s Medical School - London. Dr. Byrnes’ research has lead to numerous publications in peer reviewed scientific journals. In particular his research into the management of spinal disc herniation and the investigation and management of Complex Cervical Spine Surgery patients has subsequently been widely cited.
Upon completion of his research and Higher Neurosurgical Training Programme Dr. Byrnes was conferred as a lifetime Fellow of the Royal College Of Surgeons (FRCSI(Surg. Neuro)) and thereafter embarked on an Advanced Post-Graduate Fellowship Program in Complex Spinal Surgery at both the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, Queen Square, London and the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, Stanmore, London. During this intensive and invaluable educational period Dr. Byrnes learned from the best to provide world class care and to master cutting edge surgical techniques. Dr. Byrnes has remained committed to the principles and practice of clinical excellence. It remains his passion to provide the best care possible for patients with complex spinal conditions.
A Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, a member of the Society of British Neurological Surgeons and of the International AO Foundation in Switzerland. Dr Byrnes continues his medical education and professional development with regular periods of specialist training in the latest and most advanced spinal surgical techniques including recent visits to the United States, Germany, India, U.K. and Switzerland.
Prior to transferring his practice to Dubai in 2017, Dr. Byrnes had been based in St Bartholomew’s Hospital and The Royal London Hospital having been recruited to sub-specialise in Complex Spine Surgery. Dr. Byrnes now lives with his family in Dubai and has established his practice here, he continues to care for patients with both routine and complex spinal disorders. Providing specialist expertise for patients with early or advanced Spinal Degeneration, Disc Herniation, Spinal Tumors, Infections, Fractures and also those simply suffering Pain. Personally providing a full spectrum of treatment from straightforward advice and pain relieving spinal injections to truly Minimally Invasive Endoscopic Spine Surgery, advanced disc replacement and complex revisional spinal fixation surgeries Dr. Byrnes is an experienced and highly skilled Spinal Surgeon. The advanced facilities available to Dr. Byrnes allow High Definition Intraoperative Imaging and Spinal-Navigation with Continuous Neurophysiological Electrical Spinal Cord and Nerve Monitoring as Standard. Minimally Invasive Microsurgical Techniques are routine.
In addition to comprehensive Spinal Surgical Care Dr Byrnes also specializes in the management of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. He will provide advice upon non-surgical treatment and uses an advanced regional anaesthetic technique to perform a mini-open Carpal tunnel decompression which is virtually pain-free and bloodless. Dr Byrnes also provides care for patients with General and Emergency Neurosurgical Conditions, Head Injury, Tumor and Cerebral Haemorrhage.
Dr. Byrnes consults in partnership with his patients, only ever with his patient's interests in mind, for the best possible outcomes.
|Spoken Languages :
|Types of Physician :
|DHA License :
||Consultant Neurosurgeon and Spinal Surgeon
American Hospital Dubai
- MBChB, University Of Edinburgh, Scotland
- AFRCSI, Royal College of Surgeons, Ireland
- MD (Research), University of London, England
- FRCSI (Surgical Neurology), Royal College of Surgeons, Ireland
- Society of British Neurological Surgeons, London, U.K.
- British Association of Spinal Surgeons, U.K.
- Royal College of Surgeons, Dublin, Ireland
- AO Foundation, Switzerland
- Neurosurgeon and Spinal Surgeon, St Bartholomew's Hospital London, UK
- Neurosurgeon and Spinal Surgeon, The Royal London Hospital, U.K.
- Complex Spinal Surgery Fellowship, Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, London, UK
- Complex Spinal Surgical Fellowship, National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, Queen Square, London, UK
- Neurosurgery Registrar, Kings College Hospital, St George’s Hospital, Great Ormond Street Hospital, UK
- Cancer Research UK Clinical Lecturer Neurosurgery, St George's University Medical School, London, UK
Clinical Expertise & Services Offered:
- Complex Spine Surgery - Fellowship Trained / Orthopaedic / Neurosurgery
- Advanced Minimally Invasive Surgical Practice (MIS)
- Microsurgical Approach As Routine
- World Class, Fully Equipped Spinal Surgical Theatre (O.R.)
- Image-Guided Spine Surgery - Medtronic Stealth Real-Time Spinal Navigation
- Intraoperative CT - Medtronic O-Arm - CT Scan In the O.R.
- Continuous Intraoperative Nerve and Spinal Cord Monitoring
- ‘Nerve Safe' - Ultrasonic Bone Scalpel - Precision Bone Removal without Drill
- Carbon Surgical Table / 'ZEISS' Floating Surgical Microscope / Advanced Electrocautery
- Lumbar Spine Surgery / Cervical Spine Surgery / Thoracic Spine Surgery
- Degeneration / Disc Heriation / Stenosis / Tumor / Fracture / Vascular Lesion / Spinal Pain
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - Decompression - Mini Open - General / Sedation or Local- Daycase
- Carpal Tunnel Decompression - Advanced Anaesthetic Technique for Painless Surgery
- Ulnar Nerve - Decompression - Mini Open - General / Sedation or Local- Daycase
- Chiari / Arnold Chiari Malformation - Foramen Magnum Decompresssion
- Interventional Spinal Procedures and Therapies - Xray Guided Needle Based Pain Management
- Cervical Disc Replacement - Subspecialty Interest
- Cervical Discectomy and Fusion Including O.P.L.L.
- Hybrid Cervical Disc Replacment / Fusion Surgery
- Complex Cervical Spinal Deformity Surgery
- Complex Revision Cervical Spine Surgery - Extensive Experience
- Posterior Cervical Surgery, MIS Nerve Decompression - Foraminotomy
- Posterior Cervical Surgery, Spinal Cord Decompression Surgery with Fixation
- Percutaneous Endoscopic Lumbar Discectomy
- Minimally Invasive Lumbar Discectomy - Tubular Microdiscectomy
- Minimally Invasive Decompression - Extensive Decompression Tiny Incision
- Minimally Invasive Lumbar Spine Fusion - MIS TLIF - Latest Expanding Cage Technology to Decompress and Restore Spinal Balance
- Trans-Abdominal Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion - Rapid Stability & Reliable Fusion
- Complex Revision Lumbar Surgery - Contemporary Surgical Techniques
- Tumors of The Spine - Multidisciplinary Management
- Tumors of The Spine - Comprehensive Neurosurgical Treatment
- Spinal Cord Compression From Cancer - Tumor Surgery and Stabilisation
- Benign Spinal Tumors and Nerve Sheath Tumors - Schwanomma / Neurofibroma / Meningioma
- Fractures & Trauma of the Spine
- Osteoporotic Fractures / Tumor Fractures - Cement Injection Kyphoplasty
- Unstable Traumatic Fractures - Minimally Invasive and Open Fixation / Fusion as Required
- Treatment of Back Pain / Sciatica / Neck Pain / Sacroiliac Joint Pain / Coccyx Pain / Trigger Points
- Epidural Steroid Injections - For the Relief of Back and Leg Pain
- Caudal epidural - Simple / Well Tolerated technique
- Transforaminal Epidural Steroid Injections - Targeted and Longer Lasting
- Selective Nerve Root Blocks - Diagnostic / Therapeutic
- Facet Joint Injections - Focal Mechanical Back Pain
- Radiofrequency Ablation - Facet Joint Numbing Treatment for Back Pain
- Spinal Cord Stimulation - Chronic Severe Pain, Nerve / Spinal Cord Injury Pain
- Intrathecal Spinal Pain Pumps - Cancer Pain