American Hospital Dubai offers state-of-the-art technology and expert pediatric surgeons who are skilled in treating a number of pediatric thoracic conditions. The Department of Pediatric Surgery aims to provide its patients with effective care and treatments that are well-suited to their needs.
Children with medical conditions that impact their chest area, whether due to a tumor, gastroesophageal reflux or congenital diaphragmatic hernia, require extensive care from a pediatric thoracic team specialized in treating such illnesses.
Pediatric thoracic surgery is a branch of pediatric surgery that focuses on injuries and illnesses in the area between the neck and the abdomen. Physicians specializing in pediatric thoracic surgery treat a wide variety of conditions whether they are congenital or acquired later on in life.
There are multiple reasons why a child could require thoracic surgery whether it is due to birth defects or other illnesses. Some operations can include the removal of tumor on the lungs or even any abnormality that a child may have had since birth but it becomes infected later on, e.g. a pulmonary sequestration.
Surgeons who specialize in pediatric thoracic are also skilled in performing surgery on the esophagus for multiple conditions that can include a trachea-esophageal fistula. These surgeries are often minimally invasive, depending on the complexity of the procedure. There are also a number of heart defects in children that could require the care of a pediatric thoracic surgeon.
Pediatric thoracic specialists and their support team are also trained in providing children as well as their families with a safe and stress-free environment where they can be treated effectively.
• Chest masses
• Lung masses benign or malignant
• Pleural effusions
• Chest infections including empyema using minimally invasive techniques
• Thoracoscopic surgery: This type of surgery is similar to laparoscopy except that it is performed on the chest.
• Pectus deformities including pectus excavatum (concave chest), carinatum (pigeon chest) and rib flaring
Treatment options for pediatric thoracic conditions depend on the condition a child may have as well as the severity of it. For infants and smaller children, it is important to opt for surgeries that are minimally invasive and have a minimized recovery period. Following is a list of pediatric thoracic procedures that we offer:
• Congenital lung masses: Sometimes discovered later in life.
• Chest wall masses and deformities: Such as pectus carinatum and pectus excavatum.
• Minimally Invasive chest surgery: For removing lung masses, tumors, taking biopsies or clearing infected fluid.
• Empyema treatment: The accumulation of infected fluid in the chest which often need surgical treatment and this usually approached using minimally invasive techniques.
American Hospital houses a team of board-certified pediatric thoracic surgeons that employ latest techniques and use state-0f-the-art technology to accurately diagnose and treat a multitude of pediatric thoracic conditions. If you would like to consult with one of our doctors regarding pediatric thoracic surgery for your child or any other pediatric condition, you can use our secure online booking form to book an appointment and seek expert medical services.