Untreated stabbing pain, inflammation, or stiffness in the joints or muscles increases the likelihood of developing into an adult musculoskeletal disorder. However, if you have been diagnosed with musculoskeletal disorders, our outpatient physiotherapy services can help relieve debilitating pain and discomfort.
Musculoskeletal disorders are abnormalities in the normal functioning of muscles and bones that obstruct the individual’s mobility. Muscles are attached to bones, and together they help in the movement of a body. However, with age and other factors, the muscle fibers experience wear and tear and start losing their elasticity and strength. At the same time, bones become fragile too. Such patients are more susceptible to musculoskeletal disorders.
At American Hospital Dubai, our physiotherapy department attends patients with the following disorders on regular basis:
• Osteoarthritis, also known as "wear and tear" arthritis, is characterized by stiffness and pain in joints caused by degeneration of cartilage present between the two bones at the joints.
• Tendinitis is the inflammation of the tendons - the cords that join muscles to bones, mostly at joints like shoulders, knee, elbow, or wrist. The inflammation is accompanied by severe pain when moved to a certain position. This may be caused by repetitive motion, most common in athletes.
• Carpal Tunnel is a condition in the hand when it loses the sensation temporarily, often feels like the hand falls asleep. This is due to compression on the median nerve located on the palm side of the hand. This nerve moves towards the fingers and thumb. This musculoskeletal disorders occur when the blood flow is obstructed in the median nerve.
• Rheumatoid Arthritis is a disease in which the patient experiences pain and stiffness in joints. It is different from osteoarthritis as it affects the whole body. If it is causing pain in a joint, it will also affect the other one at the same position. This condition occurs when the body’s immune system starts attacking the body’s healthy cells.
• Bone fractures are common adult musculoskeletal disorders. Due to age factors and other bone disorders, the bone becomes fragile and experiences fractures.
Most of these disorders are caused due to age, inactivity, bad posture, and abrupt movement. However sedentary or inactive lifestyle, diet, and accidents can also contribute to develop musculoskeletal problems.
You should look out for the following signs and symptoms, as their presence and persistence may call for a proper medical intervention:
• Redness on muscles
• Inflammation in joints
• Recurring pain in bones and joints
To diagnose these disorders, your doctor will take a physical exam, check different reflexes, and recommend X-rays, MRI scans, and imaging tests.
Based on the diagnosis and other factors like the severity of disorder, the patient’s age, preference, and overall health, the doctor devises a personalized treatment plan. For mild sprain or strain, your doctor can recommend exercise or physical therapy by a trained physiotherapist to promote motion in a particular muscle or bone.
The doctor may also prescribe medicine if severe symptoms occur like inflammation and pain in the joint or muscle.
Our team of expert orthopedics takes a complete physical exam and provides a personalized plan for their treatment. Our well-trained physiotherapist helps the patient in regaining their posture and lifestyle. The state-of-the-art facility and well-equipped labs provide complete satisfaction to the patient.
If you’re feeling any muscle spasm or cramps that are interfering with your daily activities or you are experiencing persistent pain and stiffness, seek medical intervention from experienced healthcare professionals at American Hospital Dubai. You can schedule your appointment by using our secure web form.