The Department of Pediatric Urology aims to provide accurate diagnosis and precise treatment options for patients with pediatric urologic concerns. Discover what Pediatric Urologic services our doctors have to offer.
Children can often develop urological conditions that need immediate attention and may even require surgical intervention. In such cases, pediatric urologists can help better diagnose and provide with treatment options for your child as they are specialized in the urologic problems of children between the ages of infancy and teenage.
Pediatric Urologists treat and manage multitudes of urologic conditions that can include anywhere from surgical reconstruction of the urinary tract to surgical management for kidney stone disease. The Department of Pediatric Surgery and Urology at American Hospital Dubai provides excellent facilities and care for the diagnosis and treatment of urologic conditions in children.
There are a number of reasons why a child could need the medical help of pediatric urologist as they are trained to deal with the special needs of children as well as their parents. Pediatric urologists create a safe space for children and they are equipped at examining and treating children in a manner that makes them feel much more cooperative and relaxed.
Pediatric urologists also use equipment that is better suited and designed for children which can also create a non-threatening environment for them. Some of the treatments that pediatric urologists provide can include management of vesicoureteral reflux, urinary tract infections, kidney stone disease, tumors, urological tract issues that are identified at birth as well as surgeries involving reconstruction of the urinary tract.
• Hypospadias – a common abnormality, surgery is recommended around 1 year of age
• Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs)
• Hydronephrosis and other congenital abnormalities of the urinary tract
• Vesicoureteric reflux
• Urinary incontinence (wetting). A common condition that can have huge impact on the family and the child’s wellbeing.
• Neurogenic bladder
• Hernia and hydrocele (groin swelling) in children
• Undescended testis – surgical treatment is usually recommended around 9 months of age
• Circumcision – any age, under local or general anesthesia
• Endourology: uses natural orifices of the urinary tract to perform minimally traumatic procedures such as biopsies and stone extractions.
At American Hospital, our Department of Pediatric Surgery and Urology has a team of doctors who specialize in the function, structure and development of children’s urinary tracts and kidneys. Our medical experts and staff are all well-trained and offer a safe and calming environment for pediatric care. We use state-of-the-art technology and the latest techniques to offer accurate diagnosis and treatment options for our patients. Our surgeons use minimally invasive procedures for conditions that require surgical intervention such as:
• Laparoscopic surgery: It involves a telescope with a video camera to make tiny incisions on the abdomen for surgical instruments to pass through and reach the surgical area.
• Endosurgery and scar-less surgery: This surgery involves an endoscope that is inserted through the umbilicus (which is a naturally existing scar) to approach the surgical area. Special instruments are deployed through an endoscope to perform the surgery. Patients usually have no apparent abdominal scarring.
• Robotic surgery: It involves a robot arm that assists the surgeon in performing the surgery with great precision.
• Endourology: which utilizes naturally occurring openings of the urinary tract to insert special instruments and do the entire procedure being it a biopsy or stone removal without making any cuts.
Our top priority remains the care of our pediatric patients, and our team is here to serve you and your family. If you’re looking for state-of-the-art techniques for preventing, correcting, or minimizing surgical or urologic disorders in your child then please schedule an appointment with the highly-skilled specialists in Dubai by filling out our secure online form right away.