Gynecologic surgery can be an overwhelming or isolating process. Our specialized care is available to ensure that you always feel comfortable, supported, and empowered with information related to a gynecologic condition and its treatment.
Compared with “traditional” or “open surgery”, minimally invasive gynecology refers to the techniques and procedures that don’t require surgical interventions to treat various female reproductive tract disorders. For example, laparoscopy or hysteroscopy. Gynecologic minimally invasive techniques involve no or only a few tiny incisions. They offer a safer and effective alternative to traditional open surgery by avoiding a large abdominal incision. They require a brief hospital stay and offer better recovery time; hence patients can quickly resume their routine activities after the procedure.
Conditions Treated with Minimally Invasive Gynecology at American Hospital Dubai:
Led by the region’s renowned experts in minimally invasive specialty surgery, we at American Hospital Dubai offer comprehensive gynecologic surgical care for women of all ages, from routine testing to the most advanced diagnosis and treatment. Our surgeons employ the latest technologies to treat various gynecologic disorders, such as large fibroids and advanced endometriosis.
Some of the common conditions treated on regular basis are:
- Ectopic pregnancy
- Ovarian cysts
- Postmenopausal bleeding
- Uterine fibroids
- Uterine polyps
- Gynecologic cancers, such as cervical cancer, endometrial (uterine) cancer, and ovarian cancer
Types of Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery:
In order to determine the candidacy of a patient for the minimally invasive surgery, our gynecology experts examine the symptoms through diagnostic testing and then evaluate the patient’s overall health, and other factors. Based on the diagnosis, one of the following treatments is administered:
- Laparoscopy: It involves a laparoscope - a narrow tube with a camera attached to its one end. A laparoscope is inserted into the patient’s pelvic area via 2 or 3 tiny incisions to access the surgical area.
- Laparoscopic-assisted vaginal technique: It requires the surgeon to make a tiny hole in the vagina and insert the laparoscope via that hole to access the surgical site.
- Robot-assisted laparoscopy: The laparoscopy is performed with the help of a robotic system. The robotic system comprises a console that provides magnified, high-resolution 3D imaging of the surgical site.
- Single port surgery: The laparoscopy is performed via a single incision into the navel (belly button).
- Hysteroscopy: A narrow, lighted camera hysteroscope is inserted through the cervix to access the uterus, without requiring any incisions.
Our surgeons use these gynecologic minimally invasive surgical procedures for various purposes; some of them include:
- To evaluate cancerous tissue and the stage
- To perform “Endometrial Ablation” for the removal of the endometrium and treat heavy menstrual bleeding issues
- To perform a hysterectomy for the removal of the uterus, ovaries, and fallopian tubes
- To administer myomectomy for the removal of uterine fibroids and reconstruction of the uterus
- Ovarian cystectomy: Removal of ovarian cysts
- For the treatment of endometriosis
- To perform pelvic organ prolapse repair, in the case of a cystocele (bladder hernia) or rectocele (rectal hernia)
- To carry out cancer surgery for the removal of cancerous tumors from the cervix, uterus, ovaries, and other reproductive organs
- To administer tubal ligation. This includes cutting or blocking of fallopian tubes to permanently prevent pregnancy
- To perform tubal reanastomosis – a procedure to reverse a tubal ligation by reconnecting the fallopian tubes
Benefits of Minimally Invasive Gynecology:
With gynecologic minimally invasive surgery, our patients can have:
- Smaller incisions, and slight or no scars
- Less blood loss
- Less postoperative pain
- Brief hospital stays
- Faster recovery and return to daily activities
- Reduced risk of infection or other complications
Make an Appointment:
If you or your loved ones have been diagnosed with any of the above-listed gynecologic conditions and seek minimally invasive treatment options, we invite you to schedule a consultation with our Gynecology Specialists at American Hospital Dubai online.