American Hospital Dubai is fully committed to delivering world class treatment for pediatric orthopedic conditions, including traumatic, congenital and acquired conditions that affect bones and muscles. Our expert Pediatric Orthopedic Surgeons are part of a multi-disciplinary Paediatric Team including Physiothearpy, Orthotics and Rehabilitation Medicine delivering best in class care.
Pediatric Orthopedics is the science and practice of treating children with deformities of the bone, joints and muscles. It encompasses congenital conditions a child may be born with or conditions arising in childhood from disease or injury. Children with pediatric orthopedic conditions usually present to the doctor with pain or deformity in their limbs affecting their function and well being.
Children are different to adults when it comes to orthopaedic conditions. The treatments are also very different which is why it is best to see a Pediatric Orthopedic Surgeon. Children are constantly growing. Pediatric Orthopedic Surgeons are experts on growth and development and can inform you whether your child’s condition will improve as they grow and at what age and development stage treatment should be considered.
The American Hospital strives to deliver the best ethical treatment for each and every child based on the world class clinical expertise of the doctors practicing here. We pride ourselves on unparalleled expertise in children’s orthopedics so that you can feel confident that you have made the best choice for your child. Our services include:
• Emergency Pediatric Trauma surgery
• Walk in Fracture clinic
• Clubfoot Clinic
• Cerebral Palsy clinic
• Hip dysplasia Ultrasound clinic
• Limb deformity and leg lengthening clinic
• Pediatric physiotherapy
• Serial plaster cast treatment for foot deformity
• Serial plaster cast treatment for tip toe walking
• Brace/Harness treatment for hip dysplasia
• Single stage hip reconstruction for congenital hip dislocation
• Single stage hip reconstruction for cerebral palsy
• Single event multi-level surgery for gait optimization in cerebral palsy
• Minimally invasive deformity correction for knee deformity
• Leg lengthening and deformity correction
• Circular frame treatment
Our portfolio of successfully treating pediatric orthopedic disorders covers all pediatric orthopedic conditions including:
• Pediatric Injuries/Fractures – American Hospital has world class expertise in the treatment of Pediatric Injuries using the most advanced techniques to offer the best outcomes. We treat both arm and leg injuries using plaster cast treatment, wire fixation, Elastic nailing, External fixation and Internal fixation using plates. Our aim is to use the least invasive treatment to restore your child back to full function.
• Pediatric hip disorders – American Hospital has focused expertise in diagnosing and treating developmental hip dysplasia with the most non-invasive treatments possible to achieve the best outcome. Our hip dysplasia ultrasound clinic aids early diagnosis when a hip brace may fully treat the condition. In cases where bracing may be ineffective, American Hospital offers the most comprehensive surgical treatment for congenital hip dislocation with the best chance of success. Following surgery, most patients will not require a plaster cast for longer than 6 weeks. The risk of repeat dislocation following surgery is comparable with the best Pediatric Orthopedic Centers in the world. American Hospital also has expertise in the treatment of Perthes disease and slipped upper femoral epiphysis using the most modern evidence based treatments.
• Pediatric foot disorders – American Hospital is the number one center for treatment of pediatric foot conditions such as clubfoot, flatfoot, high arched feet, tarsal coalition and congenital vertical talus. Ponseti treatment is undertaken by our dedicated clubfoot multidisciplinary team including pediatric orthopedics, physiotherapy and orthotics. Our Pediatric Orthopedic Doctors are experts in assessing and treating flatfeet and high arched feet with non-operative treatment as a first line. In cases which do not improve, our surgeons will discuss biological reconstruction with osteotomies and tendon procedures to change the shape of your child’s foot to improve their comfort levels without fusing joints or using artificial implants.
• Cerebral palsy (wheelchair users) – Our multi-disciplinary team at American Hospital are focused on the care of children with neurodevelopmental conditions such as cerebral palsy. Physiotherapy, rehabilitation medicine and pediatric orthopedic doctors work together to optimize the comfort and function of children. Children with cerebral palsy who are wheelchair users are at risk of progressive hip dislocation causing difficulty washing and dressing, scoliosis, hip pain and stiffness. We provide postural management and physiotherapy with surgery reserved for progressive hip dislocation and knee contractures.
• Cerebral palsy (children with walking potential) – Children who are able to walk using mobility aids are at risk of losing walking ability as they progress into adult life. Our multi-disciplinary team ensures that walking is optimized and includes physiotherapy, rehabilitation medicine, orthotists and pediatric orthopedics. We undertake gait analysis to generate a comprehensive treatment plan for gait disorders. American Hospital offers single event multi-level surgery (SEMLS) for comprehensive deformity correction and gait optimization.
• Knee deformity (knock knees/bow legs) - Our pediatric doctors undertake comprehensive deformity analysis on x-rays to measure the deformity and advise you on treatment using minimally invasive techniques to correct the deformity as your child grows.
• Lower limb deformity – American Hospital offer comprehensive non-operative and surgical treatment options for leg length differences. Surgical options include leg length equalization with epiphysiodesis (slowing down the longer leg) and leg lengthening and deformity correction using a circular frame. Our dedicated multi-disciplinary team ensures that your child will have maximum support during their leg lengthening treatment with dedicated input from physiotherapy, rehabilitation medicine, orthotists and clinical psychology. Our pediatric orthopedic doctors design treatment programs so that your child spends the minimum amount of time in a circular frame and can return to school and play free of this device as soon as possible.
Ultimately, your child is unique and the most precious thing in the world to you. We work hard to ensure that as a parent, you can completely place your trust in us delivering the best possible care for your child. If you would like to consult with one of our doctors regarding your child’s treatment and care, you can book an appointment with us through the form provided on our website.