Our expert team of doctors at American Hospital’s Fertility Clinic is guided by the vision of providing patients with comprehensive options that can give them the best outcomes that are possible which include a safe pregnancy and having a healthy baby through the detection of chromosomal anomalies in embryos.
In order to detect any genetic and chromosomal abnormalities in an embryo, couples can take the help of Preimplantation genetic testing which is an advanced reproductive technology that can help prevent any serious illnesses to be transmitted in a fetus, thereby ensuring that a healthy child is born without any hereditary diseases.
Preimplantation Genetic Testing has also proved helpful in increasing the rates of implantation and pregnancy, as well as reducing pregnancy losses. Prospective parents who are trying to conceive may be advised by their doctors to take the Preimplantation Genetic Test if they:
• Have any known genetic anomalies
• Have had more than two spontaneous abortions
• Have had more than two failed IVF cycles
• No ejaculated sperm
• Have been diagnosed with an inheritable disease
• Have had recurring pregnancy losses
• Are at an advanced maternal age
Our fertility center at American Hospital Dubai offers three types of PGT:
- PGT-A (Preimplantation genetic testing for Aneuploidies): this type of test allows for the identification of euploid and aneuploid embryos. A euploid embryo is a healthy embryo that consists of the right amount of chromosomes per cell. However, an aneuploid is a type of embryo that has an inconsistent amount of chromosomes per cell which leads to the child having a genetic disorder such as Down syndrome or Turner syndrome. PGT-A is conducted by doctors in order to ensure a high pregnancy rate, a lessened miscarriage rate as well as a higher chance of having a healthy baby.
- PGT-M (Preimplantation Genetic Testing for Monogenic Disorders): A PGT-M is normally conducted by doctors to evaluate whether an embryo has a monogenic/single gene disorder or not. Our expert doctors can screen embryos for a number of single-gene genetic disorders that include BRAC1, BRAC2, Huntington’s Disease, and Cystic Fibrosis. PGT-M is often recommended by doctors to patients who carry a specific genetic disorders and may pass it on to their offspring and the test is conducted before the embryo is transferred to the uterus. After the embryos have been created through IVF and matured, they are sent for a thorough analysis. In case a single gene disorder is detected in an embryo, it is discarded, whereas the healthy ones are kept for further use. The healthy embryo is then transferred into the uterus for implantation, ensuring a healthy child.
- PGT-SR (Preimplantation genetic testing for structural alteration in chromosomes): In case either of the partners carries an inversion, reciprocal translocation or if they had a child that was born with a chromosome rearrangement, the PGT-SR can aid them in enhancing the success of their treatment. PGT-SR is also advised for patients who may carry the Robertsonian translocation so that the chromosome number or structure can be taken a closed look at. The test involves carefully examining the embryos that were created through IVF and later identifying the ones that are healthy and are ready for implantation.
As has been explained above, the Preimplantation Genetic Test is conducted to examine embryos to check if they have any genetic anomalies that won’t make them viable for implantation. By carrying out the process of in-vitro fertilization, doctors create embryos that are monitored for about 5-7 days until have reached the desired development stage.
After the 5-7 day period, a small biopsy is performed in order to extract a few cells from the embryo's outer layer. The extracted cells are then sent to a lab that specializes in PGT for analysis while the embryos are again frozen.
The tests result may come in about 3 weeks which usually depends on the type of PGT conducted. After receiving and analyzing the results, your doctor will give you a schedule of when the embryo transfer is supposed to be performed.
Our team of reproductive endocrinologists offers patients with premium fertility care and is dedicated to patient-centered care. If you are concerned regarding the transmission of any genetic disorders into your offspring, then please book a consultation with one of our reproductive specialists who can answer all your queries and guide you regarding preimplantation genetic testing. To schedule an appointment with a reproductive specialist, you can book a consultation through the secure online form given on our website.
Arabic, English, French, Swedish