Unexplained infertility can be troublesome for couples who are trying to conceive. However, Intrauterine insemination (IUI) has become a widespread method in the journey toward building a family through the use of sophisticated technologies that aid in the combining of gametes (eggs and sperms).
In a joint venture between American Hospital and Livio AB, the latter has extended its medical expertise to build a specialized fertility laboratory that will help individuals struggling with infertility. Through the use of advanced technology in the field of reproductive medicine, couples who are seeking fertility treatments will be provided with the option of intrauterine insemination and in-vitro fertilization at American Hospital Dubai.
Our excellent team of physicians with specialized infertility treatments ensures that patients are provided with the best possible treatment options and care that can help them build their families.
For couples who face difficulty in conceiving and seek the help of medical professionals for fertility treatments, intrauterine insemination is often the first step to take that can aid them to overcome certain reasons that may be causing infertility. Intrauterine insemination is a non-invasive procedure that does not take too long to perform and helps increase a couple’s chance of conceiving.
It is a fertility procedure where the spouse’s semen sample is collected and introduced directly into the uterus while the woman is ovulating. The sperm's path through the fallopian tubes is shortened since the procedure allows for the cervix to be bypassed, hence making its way to the egg faster and more easily and causing a pregnancy.
Getting an IUI significantly increases the chances of getting pregnant for a number of reasons that include:
- Since the semen sample is processed in a fertility lab, only healthy sperms that have the capability of fertilizing an egg are picked up
- The sperms are introduced into the uterus at the time of ovulation
- The ovaries are stimulated by inducing a hormone which can then stimulate the ovary to release eggs that are mature
- The procedure is done under great control that ensures all stages are performed effectively
Individuals or couples whose main concern is low sperm motility, unexplained infertility as well as issues with sperm delivery are good candidates for intrauterine insemination. This procedure can be carried out in cases of both female infertility and male infertility.
The process for Intrauterine Insemination includes:
- Ovarian Stimulation: A hormone is induced that acts as a stimulant for the maturation and development of an egg.
- Follicular Preparation: In order to determine if follicles have grown in desirable size and number, doctors proceed with a few ultrasounds and blood samples. After the results have come, the hormone hCG is given in order to induce ovulation. Intrauterine insemination (IUI) is then scheduled after a period of 36 hours.
- Semen Capacitation: The husband is expected to give a semen sample a few hours prior to the insemination on the day of the procedure. Sperms that have good mobility as well as quality are selected by the Andrologist so that the capacity of fertilization is increased.
- Insemination: The semen sample is then introduced into the uterus through a catheter by a fertility expert. The patient then has to rest for a couple of minutes and is later free to go.
After the procedure is completed, your doctor will provide you with the optimal date when you should take a blood pregnancy test, which is usually 15 days after the procedure has been conducted. After the blood result comes out positive, you can then schedule an ultrasound to confirm the embryo sac. Later, the patient can easily monitor their pregnancy with their usual gynecologist.
The IVF Center at American Hospital, built according to the standards of Livio, has a wide range of fertility treatments that can cater to your needs in your journey to achieve a safe and successful pregnancy. If you are having issues with conceiving, you can book a consultation with one of our fertility experts at American Hospital by using the secure online form available on our website.