American Hospital Dubai is proud of having a well-established ‘Advanced Rehabilitation Unit’ to optimize functional recovery and quality of life for patients recovering from serious long-term conditions and complex medical conditions or injuries.
This unit provides specialist care and rehabilitation for patients suffering from serious medical and physical conditions such as stroke, brain injury and related complications, musculoskeletal or spinal cord injuries. This care is provided on a short, intermediate or a long-term basis. Our world-class multidisciplinary team uses high-tech equipment to optimize and accelerate functional recovery.
The holistic approach of the team not only concentrates at treatment of infirmity but also long term improvement of quality of life and return to work through vocational rehabilitation measures.
This approach is made possible by working together with the patient and family to set smart goals after a set of assessments have been made. The processes is further accelerated through necessary interventions including, spasticity management by Botox injections, pain control by nerve blocks, high end spasticity interventions like intra-thecal baclofen pumps, functional electrical stimulations, splinting, serial casting, bracing, supported mobility, compression devices, joint and tendon injections
The Advanced Rehabilitation Unit is a dedicated facility located in the hospital’s Bed Tower. With a total of 22 private rooms, the unit provides patient-centric therapy and comprehensive patient care under one roof. The multidisciplinary team consists of more than 20 staff, including a board certified physician specialist in neurological and spinal cord injuries, physiotherapist, occupational therapist, speech therapist and full-time specialist nurses.
Rehabilitation is often needed to support patients after a massive stroke, for example, when the body may have lost half its normal functions affecting mobility, speech or resulting in significant brain damage. The aim is to get the patient back home as early as possible, leading as normal life as possible. Advanced rehabilitation includes focused interventions, working with family members and coordinating with other care providers to deliver comprehensive program under one roof.
The outcomes for rehabilitation patients can be very good with an improved life expectancy for patients with these seriously debilitating conditions; specialty care and rehabilitation may be required short to long-term. With the right level of expert support and care, these patients can enjoy a high quality life, getting involved in their favorite activities, and enhancing memorable times spent with their loved ones.
A typical patient who may benefit from this unit could be suffering from, or requiring rehabilitation for the following:
- Long-term neurological conditions like multiple sclerosis or cerebral palsy.
- Acquired brain injuries like stroke, hypoxic brain injury, traumatic brain injury
- Complications of long term conditions like, spasticity, decreased mobility, gait problems, pressure sores, joint contractures, or secondary musculoskeletal pain
- Spinal cord injuries and patients having complications post spinal surgery or tumors.
- Recovery and rehabilitation after major surgeries such as spinal cord, joint replacements, fractures, musculoskeletal injuries or pelvic fractures
- Frozen shoulders or chronic non-operable shoulder conditions needing intensive rehabilitation and interventions like nerve blocks
- Muscular dystrophies or sports injuries needing intensive rehabilitation
- Amputations recovery and mobility training
- Orthotic or prosthetic support
- Intra-thecal baclofen pump assessment and treatment for spasticity
- Spasticity interventions through physiotherapy and/or Botox injections.