The Heart & Vascular Center at the American Hospital Dubai is a regional center of excellence in cardiology, providing American standards of treatment and care to heart patients in the United Arab Emirates and the surrounding region.
With a combined multidisciplinary team of highly skilled heart specialists focusing on cardiology, interventional cathlab procedures, cardiothoracic surgery and vascular surgery, the center integrates its team’s skills and experience to treat conditions of the heart, lungs and chest. The staff uses the latest innovations and most advanced techniques in cardiology.
The Heart & Vascular Center is capable of diagnosing, monitoring and treating all types of heart conditions through invasive and non-invasive cardiology procedures, cardiothoracic surgery and vascular surgery, supported by advanced rehabilitation services.
The center is one of a small, select group of medical centers worldwide capable of undertaking advanced interventional and surgical procedures, including complex procedures such as minimally invasive heart surgeries and beating heart bypass surgeries, state-of-the-art heart valve repairs and advanced aortic arch procedures.
Commonly referred to as heart disease, cardiovascular disease is a label used to portray a range of illnesses and conditions that directly affect the heart. These include blood vessel diseases like coronary artery disease, arrhythmia and genetic heart defects, among others. If untreated, blocked or restricted, blood vessels can cause heart failure and cardiac arrest, angina or even a stroke.
Cardiovascular conditions can involve different parts of the heart such as the arteries, the valves and the muscle, and require heart specialists to administer treatments or surgeons to perform elaborate operations in the case of advanced heart disease.
While they may vary from one patient to another, the most common symptoms of heart disease are:
- Chest Pain or Angina in the arm and/or neck and/or back.
- Profuse Sweating
- Acute Nausea
- Heartbeat Irregularities
Heart disease diagnosis relies on each patient’s medical history and records as well as physical examinations, blood tests and internal scans.
As a cardiology hospital, we at the American Hospital in Dubai strictly advise against self-diagnosis and urge all patients to seek medical expertise should they experience any unusual symptoms.
Heart disease treatments depend strictly upon the severity of the condition. They include lifestyle changes, dietary modifications, prescribed medicine, medical treatments, surgical procedures and post-surgery cardiac rehabilitation.
Lifestyle changes and Dietary Modifications:
- Smoking: Heart specialists have always advised against smoking. In cardiology, the use of tobacco can increase the risk of Cardiovascular Disease or worsen existing symptoms. Secondhand smoke can also cause severe damage to your health.
- Healthy Diet: Diets that include a lot of fat can cause a strain on the vascular muscle and lead to blocked blood vessels. In order to prevent heart diseases or rehabilitate your body after you have suffered a cardiac episode, you should change to a healthy diet that includes vegetables and fruits, whole grains, low-fat dairy products and protein-rich foods such as lean meats, nuts and seeds.
- Physical Activity: A well-planned physical activity routine can lower the risk of cardiovascular disease such as high cholesterol, high blood pressure and excess weight diabetes. After a cardiac episode, our heart specialists can recommend a workout routine that fits the patient’s physical needs and limitations.
- Maintaining Weight: Obesity and weight conditions can often lead to heart disease and failures. Daily calorie intakes should be regulated or limited, depending on the patient’s needs. As a cardiology hospital, dietary plans are part of our treatments options.
- Stress & Depression: Stress and depression can often lead to unhealthy coping mechanisms such as excessing drinking, smoking, or even bingeing, which can in turn lead to heart diseases and cardiac arrests. Learning how to manage stress and cope with mental conditions is necessary to improve physical and emotional health.
When lifestyle changes aren’t enough, our specialists will prescribe medicine and special treatments to alleviate your symptoms and improve your condition. These will help reduce your heart workload and relieve the symptoms, decrease chances of ulterior heart episodes and cardiac arrests, lower cholesterol and blood pressure levels, prevent blood clots, and in some cases, delay the need for procedures or surgeries.
At American Hospital Dubai, we advise you to take all of your medicines as prescribed.
In advanced stages of cardiovascular disease, you may need procedures to treat your condition. Our team of skilled and experienced heart specialists maintain the best cardiology center in Dubai. They will take the time to discuss your options with you and determine the right treatment and procedure for your specific condition.
Following your procedure, your doctor may prescribe a detailed rehabilitation program to maintain your progress and restore your health. A cardiac rehabilitation regimen may include lifestyle and dietary changes as well as medical treatments and follow-up examinations.
Our team of doctors, nurses, health specialists, physical therapists, nutritionists and psychologists work together with the patient, abiding by their medical history and official diagnosis to decide on the best course of action and determine the most suitable rehab program.